With competition season underway and recital season around the corner, Picture Days are coming up. It's time for some tips for a smooth Picture Day!
1) Set each group pose in class ahead of time. I typically start with the ending pose of their dance (if there is one) and go from there. Having all the group photo poses set prior to Picture Day will make it go smoother and faster.
2) Have three set poses picked out ahead a time for each genre and/or age group. You can even have some volunteer "models" demonstrate the poses and have the model pictures ready to use.
3) Be ready for curve balls and adjust accordingly. You will always have someone show up in the wrong shoes or now shoes at all. You can easily hid their feet in the back or sitting with their skirt wrapped gracefully over their feet.
4) Have a photographer you love and trust. Building a good relationship with your photographer makes Picture Day so much better. A photographer with experience shooting dancers is always a plus.
5) Provide a schedule that gives enough time for each group to do the group picture and individual pictures. If possible, it is nice to have two photographers and/or sets. That way you can be shooting the individuals while you are setting the group and vice versa. You should also allow time for transitions. Try not to schedule students back to back in order to provide time for dancers to change without holding up the schedule.
6) It is also a good idea to have safety pins and extra tights in case of costume emergencies.
7) Provide an easy way for parents and guardians to order and purchase pictures. Most photographers will have their own system. Make sure you have a good system in place and that all parents and guardians are provided with the information.
8) Have parents and guardians sign a release form so you can use the pictures for your studio advertising and social media content.
9) Communicate! The best way to have a smooth Picture Day is to make sure everyone has all of the needed information. Schedule, costume requirements, how to order pictures, etc. Prosody Backstage makes the communication part easy!
10) Have fun and get creative!
What are your tips for a smooth Picture Day? Did I miss any? If you have a dance photographer you love feel free to leave their contact information in the comments.